Saturday 6 October 2012

Why is it so hard to get up and run......

.....when it makes me feel so good.

When I was growing up I hated running. I only ever participated in school events when it was compulsory (and I came last). I never though I was any good.

At some point in my weightloss journey (on a CK forum) I was introduced to the C25k program. Why not try it? Running was supposed to be good for weight loss, it didn't cost anything and I could do it anywhere anytime. It took me about 12 weeks, but I made it to running continuously for 30 minutes (although my pace meant this was only about 4.5km).
It was wonderful for losing weight, but I don't know that I really enjoyed it.

We moved into winter, the days got shorter and I stopped running and the weight piled back on.

The next year - knowing how effective running was for getting off those kgs I did the program again. And again I stopped. A pattern formed.
The next year I did the Gateway to 8k.
Then the Freeway to 10k.

But at the end of each season I'd stop and pile back on the weight. I kept telling myself I still didn't like running. When I told my mother she told me "You can't run, you've never been able to run."

But last year, Michelle challenged me to set goals. So I set a couple of goals - run in a 10km event within 3 months, participate in a sprint triathlon within 6 months. 
My triathlon challenge came early with the Pink Triathlon - it was a blast. So with the encouragement of my new friends I enlisted in a local sprint triathlon (only 1 month from when I set the goal). I completed the entire series. I loved the running - and I was good at it (in comparison to my cycling and swimming which were at the rear of the pack).
I also completed the 10km Rebel Run4Fun after 2 months. I was elated. 

I finally realised that I actually liked running. It made me feel good. It helped me lose weight.

So in 2012 I set a goal to run the Canberra 1/2 marathon.
I had a training program (http://marathonguru.com.au/in place for the first 1/2 and was doing well and feeling great. Then the "I don't want to get out of bed" syndrome started. My training suffered from a few weeks when I didn't run at all. I finished the event, but struggled all the way through. I was surprised, though, that my time was spot on the revised time that marathonguru had predicted based on my preparation.

I started running again and picked another event. The SEAFM Bay to Bay 1/2 Marathon. This time I followed the program to the letter and it was fantastic. I felt great, the running was good and I beat my target time. 

Next goal - the Blackmore's Marathon. I started my new training program and everything was good. But then I sabotaged myself again. A minor injury, cold weather, travel, any excuse not to get out of bed. I used the City2Surf as a paced training run (and did well, but was not ready and took time to recover). Then I gave up. Needless to say I didn't run in the  marathon.

I've had weeks where I've told myself "just run, you're getting fat again". I set my alarm when I go to bed. Then I roll over when it goes off in the morning.

I know I feel better after running.
I know it helps me keep the weight off.
I know it tightens my abs and gets rid of my muffin top.
I know that just a few weeks off makes a BIG difference to my training.
I LIKE running.

WHY is it so hard to get out of bed?


So - now Michelle challenges us "Make one small change."
Given my history, this may not look like a change - but based on the last 2 months it is definitely a change.
RUN JACKIE RUN
Follow your runkeeper program and stick to it. No cheating or rolling over in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment